Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Wow, I Ran A Lot This Month

Another month of running in the books. I hit 268 miles for June. That's the second highest mileage month I have ever completed.

Just to put that in perspective, my highest monthly mileage ever was this past March when I logged 317 in training for the Jersey Marathon. I ran between 212 and 238 in all the other months from December through April and 189 in May the month after the marathon. The highest mileage month I hit in training for my first marathon in 2006 was 267 and the highest mileage month I hit training for my second marathon in 2008 (bouncing back from injury) was 200. When I realize that my other highest mileage months have all included at least 2 20 milers and have come while in marathon training and that I never surpassed more than 14 miles in a run this past month I definitely have to say I'm a step ahead of where I have ever been in my training in the past, at least mileage wise---I don't know that my shorter race times are quite where I think they should be right now based on what I was doing this past winter/spring. And while I really only did one or two speed workouts this month, it's not like I've just been slogging through slow miles, I race two 5 milers, a 5K and a 1500/3000 double in June plus a half marathon on May 30. Hope this all leads me to where I want to be this fall and beyond...

Also I'm at 1,448 miles at the halfway point of 2009. 3,000 sure sounds tempting but it might be hard if I plan on taking some down time after the fall marathoning.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the miles. I have yet to hit 200 for a month, so I am impressed. Keep getting those miles in and it will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the 3,000 goal. I will HAVE to hit it this year, as I was 22 shy in 2008. Have you thought about any century weeks (over 100)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm still a bit away from getting to 100 miles in a normal week since I'm topped out at 80 for now but if runs overlapped the right way (i.e. long run on a Sunday then the following Saturday) I have thought about trying to hit 100 miles over 7 days that way. I actually just recently had 94 over a 7 day stretch and thought about running 6 extra miles that night to do it but I had already run 18 in the AM so I thought it wasn't a good idea. It is intriguing though and I bet I hit 100 at least once this year in the above mentioned slightly "artificial" way just for the heck of it.

    You're totally going to make 3000 by the way this year.

    ReplyDelete