Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Quick Update

Sorry folks it's been too long (two whole weeks). I've been busy running I guess. Actually the truth of it is that I'm base building, logging heavy miles, and not doing anything that's all too exciting on the running front. Well I did just log my two highest mileage weeks ever at 80 and 79 miles respectively to get July off to a good start. 

On the speed work front I've done two workouts in the last two weeks, plus one race that was basically a glorified workout. Last week I did 6 x 800 at around a 2:45 average per interval (400 rest in between), Saturday I raced a 5K in Pennsylvania in 18:15 (spending much of my time battling the wind in the second half of the race) and trained through it and didn't kill myself as I faded in the last mile or so, then Sunday I ran 20 miles in the mid-afternoon 85 degree heat and really struggled. So I was quite happy to bounce back two days later today and average 5:41 for 3 x 1 mile repeats with an 800 recovery in between. I'm taking a lower mileage week this week with a 4 mile race coming up on Saturday that I am hoping to do well at. My PR is 23:54, the oldest one on the books going back to 2006 (way back when before ever really getting injured and before ever having run a marathon!). I'd rather break 23:30, and if I broke 23 I will do a little cyber dance for you all, but that would be faster per mile than my 5K PR so I don't think that will be happening, but you never know. Stay tuned for a report this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to read about a 4 mile race, as I've never done one. Why are you doing your LRs so late? Surely you can get out of bed earlier than noon? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually do my LRs that late, I'm an early riser actually! I was out of town for the weekend and decided it would be best to do my long run in a familiar place when I got back in the afternoon and after rather than before a long car ride. If not for the heat it would have been a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the 4 miler. I did one last week end. Miles 1/3 were uphill and 2/4 were downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would be interested in a 4 mile race. That is pretty much a northern thing right? I have never heard of them down here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 4 mile race may just be a Central Park thing in NYC for all I know since it is convenient with how the road loops work in the park. I don't think I've ever run one anywhere else, but it is actually the distance I have raced the most in my life.

    ReplyDelete